July 1, 2012 - June 30, 2013
- Hank Chao, Chair
- Bruce Meyer, Vice Chair
- Glenn DuBois, Secretary
The State Board for Community Colleges is the governing body of the Virginia Community College System.
Appointed by the Governor for up to two four-year terms, the board’s 15 members meet six times a year to set policy for all of Virginia’s Community Colleges. Their responsibilities include:
- Preparing and administering a plan of standards and policies to establish, develop, administer, and supervise the community colleges. A principal objective of this plan is to ensure that appropriate educational opportunities—and excellent curricula—are available throughout the state.
- Controlling and spending funds—both state appropriations and awards from outside public and private entities—and establishing tuition fees and charges.
- Conferring diplomas, certificates, and associate’s degrees.
- Establishing policies for creating and operating a community college board for each community college, which helps determine local educational needs and enlist community involvement and support.
- Communicating with the Governor, General Assembly, Secretary of Education, and officials of other agencies and higher education organizations about issues that affect the community colleges’ mission, policies, programs, and funding.