To apply for financial aid you must follow certain steps to make sure that your application is considered for all types of aid. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid Web Worksheet available from your local high school, community college or area university. There is no fee to apply for federal need-based aid using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- All students need to apply for a personal identification number (PIN) at www.pin.ed.gov. If parental income must be included on the aid application one parent will also need a PIN. The PIN will be used to sign the FAFSA electronically.
- The FAFSA must be completed on-line, using FAFSA on the Web from the Department of Education. You may also bring your application to MECC to receive assistance from the financial aid staff in entering the FAFSA online.
- In order for your information to be released to Mountain Empire Community College, you must list the school code for Mountain Empire on the FAFSA (code 009629).
- Make sure that the mailing address that the College has for you is correct. If you need to change your mailing address, you may do so at Enrollment Services/Admissions. The address that you fill out on your FAFSA will not update your master record with the College.
- Results will be returned to you in the form of a Student Aid Report (SAR) either by e-mail (if address is provided) or by mail to the address you provided. Read the SAR carefully and contact the campus financial aid office if there are any errors that need correction and to confirm that we have received the electronic version of your SAR.
- A request for any additional documents will be mailed to you. Processing of your application will take two to four weeks after we have received your accurate SAR and all other documentation.
NOTE: If your application for financial aid is selected by the federal processing center for a process called Verification, you must provide a copy of your federal income tax return and a form called the Verification Worksheet, which will be mailed to you by Enrollment Services/Financial Aid.
- To be considered an early applicant and given priority for all funds available, Mountain Empire Community College must have received your accurate electronic SAR with all other required documents no later than May 1 and you must meet all student eligibility requirements (such as the Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress). May 1 is not a deadline but a priority date for consideration for other types of aid than the Pell Grant.
- Financial aid will be awarded and a Notification of Award letter will be mailed to you after your file is completed. You may also view your financial aid award at MECC OnLine.
- Review the Notification of Award Letter along with all other information provided with it pertaining to your obligations and the eligibility requirements for the financial aid awarded.